Google announced on June 11, 2013 that “ALL businesses must have mobile websites now to rank well in mobile search!”
WHAT IS A MOBILE SITE AND WHY DO YOU NEED ONE?
Just because you can see your desktop site on a mobile phone does NOT mean it’s mobile-friendly. Mobile “optimized” sites are designed for the small screen, with the specific needs of mobile users in mind. A mobile-optimized site, with specific “calls-to-action,” can help your business connect with customers and drive business.
Your customers are already mobile. Are you?
According to GoMO by Google…
- More people now use mobile phones than PCs to get online.
- Mobile searches have grown by 400% since 2010.
- There will be one mobile device for every person on earth by 2015.
Users expect their mobile experience to be as good as their desktop experience.
- 71% of users expect a mobile site to load as fast as a desktop site.
- 60% of users expect a mobile site to load in 3 seconds or less.
- 78% will retry a site two times or less if it does not load initially.
A bad mobile experience can cost you customers.
- 57% would not recommend a business with a bad mobile site.
- 40% have turned to a competitor’s site after a bad mobile experience.
- 23% of adults have cursed at their phone when a site doesn’t work.
Customers are connecting with the businesses in their local area on mobile.
- 95% of smartphone users have searched for local information.
- 61% of users call a business after searching and 59% visit the location.
- According to Neilson, 64% of Mobile Restaurant Searches convert “immediately or within 1 hour … 90% convert within the day.”
Apps vs. Mobile Sites
- 81% of users prefer mobile sites to apps for researching prices.
- 79% prefer mobile sites for product reviews.
- 63% prefer them for purchasing.
- Many Apps – 22% – are NEVER used more than once.
Businesses like yours can drive purchases with a mobile-friendly site…
- 70% of mobile users have compared product prices on their phones.
- 65% have read product reviews on their phones.
- 50% of mobile searches lead to purchase.
Does your business have a mobile-optimized website? If not, then you’re missing an opportunity to reach on-the-go smartphone consumers. A recent Google survey found that 96% of consumers had encountered a site that wasn’t designed for mobile. Yet the rewards for building a mobile site can be great: 67% of mobile users say that when they visit a mobile-friendly site, they’re more likely to buy a site’s product or service.
Make your website work across multiple devices…
Once you’ve got a mobile-friendly site, a whole new world of mobile advertising opens up. Constantly connected consumers have found new ways to buy from your business. Nearly 3 of 10 mobile searches directly result in conversions such as visiting a store, calling a business, or making a purchase online. When you take these new paths to purchase into account, there are exciting new ways to create value for your business.